Translate

Monday 18 May 2015

Jonathan begs Nigerians for forgiveness, as wife says ailment disappeared after election loss


WorldStage Newsonline—President Goodluck Jonathan on Sunday begged Nigerians to forgive him in any way he had erred, saying no system including his administration is perfect.


The President and the First Lady, Dame Patience who were giving thanks to God at the Aso Villa Chapel, for about leaving office healthy and alive said: "No system is perfect. Every human system must have an element of imperfection.

“For the period of eight years that we have been here. I will take the period as a block because my transition from VP to President was gradual and complicated. It was intertwined so you cannot actually draw the line.

"Because when the President was challenged within major health issues, I was running the country for sometimes even before the doctrine of necessity made me as acting president. Then I took over at first and conducting the 2011 election I won and I had to run my full four years as an elected president.

"So for the eight that one has been there, definitely one is not perfect. We have certainly done things that probably we wouldn't have done that way, but we didn't do things deliberately. So for those who we have offended it was not deliberate, it was circumstances of the office.

"So we also plead that those people should forgive, we think we have done our best. You can do your best and your friends may misunderstand you. Today we are talking about leaving, it is only God that knows why things go the way they do."

Thanking all those who stood with him during his tenure, he said, "We came in as Vice President and my wife, today we are leaving as the former president and former First Lady. We have achieved it through you. Let me specifically thank the chaplain, the clergymen, the pastors and their wives."